Friday, April 13, 2007

Justice Vs. Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party (SebastiAn Remix), Neutral Milk Hotel

Today's post includes two remixes and an older song that is custom to praise among indie scholars and music nerds(same thing). The first is a remix of Franz Ferdinand by Justice. I won't lie, the first time I heard this song I could have taken or leaven it. The second time through however, a lot better. The break down of the vocal part is pretty cool, if not actually consistent. The next song is a remix of a Bloc Party song of their new LP, A Weekend In The City. Though I had not heard the song before the mix, it inspired (yes, inspired) me to listen to the real song. Even though I do not consider Bloc Party as one of the greatest bands ever (they have some catchy songs with better than average lyrics), this mix and original are pretty good.

The last song is from Neutral Milk Hotel, the acclaimed indie band of mid-90's fame. If you have not heard of this band or this song (Holland, 1945) then you have some catching up to do. Parts of the song are loosely based on the Diary of Anne Frank which Jeff Mangum had read prior to Aeroplane. The lyrics are truly beautiful, if not even sad. I offer this one song among the whole album as a starting point for no particular reason except that, I can't post the whole album. All I can say now is to buy the album. I actually went out and bought it on vinyl last year because there is something about that medium that I feel meshes with the album so well. Till next time.

Songs:
Bloc Party - I Still Remember (SebastiAn Remix)
Franz Ferdinand - The Fallen (Justice Remix)
Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945


No comments: